RUNNING STRONG BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Running Strong for American Indian Youth® Board of Directors is a supervising entity comprised of volunteer board members who perform the following functions in their respective governance roles.
- Participate in quarterly board meetings and monthly executive governance meetings to keep apprised of Running Strong for American Indian Youth®’s latest developments in programs, financial health, audit status, staff changes, and overall progress in the pursuit of the charity mission.
- Review the Running Strong for American Indian Youth® mission and purpose articulating the organization's goals, means, and primary constituents served.
- Select the chief executive and supporting officers for Running Strong for American Indian Youth®.
- Support and evaluate the performance and compensation of the chief executive and officers.
- Ensures effective planning and generally supervise overall planning process and monitoring the plan's goals
- Protects assets through financial oversight by:
- Reviewing and approving the annual budget
- Reviewing financial controls
- Selecting and overseeing independent auditors
- Reviewing annual audit required of all nonprofit organizations
- Reviewing the Form 990 prior to filing with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Designating an Audit Committee and Financial Committee to directly supervise the audits and assets and report back to the Board members and organization officers.
- Articulate prerequisites for Board candidates, orient new Board members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluate their own performance.
- Set policy and controls to ensure legal and ethical integrity.
- Disclose any personal interests that could give rise to conflicts or compromise integrity.
- Annually review and approve Board’s good governance policies including whistleblower policy, conflict of interest policy, and document and destruction policy.
- Review, protect, and set policy in order to enhance the organization’s public standing.
- Perform such other duties and have such other authority and powers as the Board may from time to time prescribe or as the Chairperson may from time to time delegate.
Running Strong for American Indian Youth® is governed by a five-member Board of Directors.
The Running Strong Board of Directors (L to R): Jim O'Brien, Ashley Wahiaronkwas Morris, Clyde B. Richardson, Katsi Cook, and Emil Her Many Horses
JAMES O’BRIEN, ESQ.
Read James's biography.
Founder O'Brien Law LLC
EMIL HER MANY HORSES
Read Emil's biography.
Assistant Curator Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
Read Katsi's biography.
Executive Director Woman is the First Environment Collaborative
ASHLEY WAHIARONKWAS MORRIS
Read Ashley's biography
(Mohawk of Kahnawake)
CLYDE B. RICHARDSON
Read Clyde's biography
In addition, Running Strong benefits from an Advisory Board of experienced community leaders from across the United States.
RUNNING STRONG STAFF